Your Roadmap to Greatness
Sign up to instantly receive three tips to get you started on your Roadmap to Greatness
Who Else Wants Less Stress in EveryDay Life???
There are tons of studies that show meditation offers a wide variety of benefits. Below are just a few that highlight some of the results:
"Meditation decreases oxygen consumption, heart rate, respiratory rate, and blood pressure, and increases the intensity of alpha, theta, and delta brain waves—the opposite of the physiological changes that occur during [stress]."
Herbert Benson, M.D. Harvard Medical School, author of The Relaxation Response
“Recent research has looked at precisely what happens during meditation that allows it to cause these positive physical changes…A group of people who had meditated for four months [were found to produce] less of the stress hormone cortisol. They were therefore better able to adapt to stress in their lives, no matter what their circumstances were.”
Psychology Today, May 2001
So where do we begin? Let's start by following some simple steps below:
• Be Consistent. Try to meditate every day, even if it's only for a few minutes. Probably the best time will be in the morning as you're starting your day. The benefits are cumulative, and you'll really start to notice that after sticking with it for awhile.
• Location is Important. Find a quiet space in your home where you won't be disturbed. Try to meditate in the same spot every day. And try to eliminate all distractions – turn off your phone, blackberry, etc.
• Breathing is key. Focus on your breathing to help clear your mind and relax your body.
• Try not to think. That sounds really hard. Actually, that is really hard. But as you focus on your breathing, try to listen to your heart and feel the energy in your body. Your mind will inevitably jump from thought to thought. Let the thoughts come in, but just as quickly let them pass and re-focus on your breathing.
• Don't be hard on yourself with too many expectations. While there will be great benefits to meditation in the long run, the immediate results will likely be subtle. Be patient with it.
• Keep that calm & relaxed feeling going throughout your day. As you leave your meditation space, bring that relaxed & focused feeling into your day. Whenever you remember throughout the day, take a moment for a deep breath and visualize yourself in your meditation. It will give you the time to pause & re-focus so you won't lose that relaxed state of mind.
GOOD IDEA: Start Meditating Just a Few Minutes Each Day. And Reduce Stress in Your EveryDay Life!