Your Roadmap to Greatness
Sign up to instantly receive three tips to get you started on your Roadmap to Greatness
Playing the Waiting Game
Sitting in the waiting room of the doctor's office on Tuesday, I found myself in an all-too familiar 'deep thoughts' mode. You may have experienced this yourself at the doctor's office, especially if you were waiting for results like I was.
You're in the waiting room. Waiting. And waiting. And still waiting. There's nothing to do but think (and flip through magazines, of course!) Do they do this on purpose you wonder? Because it really is an insufferably long amount of time to judge yourself and bargain with destiny as you pray for good news. Well, luckily for me, I can tell you my mammogram was ok! Phew! (More on the actual mammogram experience another time…as well as the importance of getting one!)
But while I was w-a-i-t-i-n-g for what seemed to be an eternity, I was INSPIRED to entertain myself rather than be bogged down with 'deep thoughts'!
7-Things To Do While Waiting in the Waiting Room
- Think of ways to improve the decor of the room (these waiting areas are always too drab!)
- When someone sneezes, does anyone look up from their magazine or even attempt to say "God Bless You"? Or do they just ignore?
- Make a list of things to do if you ever get out of this waiting room
- See how long you can really adhere to the sign that says "Refrain from Using Cellphones" before you go mad! Ask yourself if texting constitutes cellphone use & ponder that question for awhile…you can get into quite an interesting debate with yourself.
- Listen to other people's conversations with the receptionist. There's always a good complaint about a payment issue or something!
- Think about why all those other people are are there waiting. Watch how their patience is tested as they shift in their seats, let out big sighs now and then, furiously flip through magazines, and periodically survey the room hoping for someone to offer the sympathetic shrug that says "what can you do?"
- Keep track of how long you've had to wait this time! Compare it to past visits. Is it getting better or worse? What's been your average wait time? Perhaps a detailed-chart analysis is in order!